Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Monday, July 8, 2013

BOMs Away - 8 July - Kelly's project

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEib6FEw-InTZOIaLrsh7raXFspj2e1T12kCO8l-1fE90gdy6n4l1MW2uvunLaRnasRzTevZmJGQUxFSneppP1tAy6D3038PFUnZoe3kZkA6pv4O9beBUFKk-l_8VIx2zK7QOjm3Pv7Ki7I/s1600/BOM+Button.jpg

Welcome to the Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!

We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.
This week's link-up is at the bottom of this post.



This week I worked on Kelly's BOM for her. I needed to make 4 Broken Window blocks. It's taken me all day to do these:



Which actually are wrong, but I rather like how they turned out. When I cut out the squares to sew the HST's with the 8-in-1 method, I did the math for the FINISHED size instead of the UNFINISHED size. (My cue-card in my ruler drawer is changed so I won't do that again!)

There was nowhere near enough background fabric to recut all those, and frankly, there wouldn't have been enough to cut them properly to start with. There was barely enough to cut corner additions to bring the HST patches to the correct size for just one of the blocks. So I hit the Civil War charm packs Kelly had with her BOM fabrics and found 3 that had similar colors/values as the background fabric to get the up-sizing pieces for the other 3 blocks.



So now 1 block has a uniform background, while the other 3 have corner frames. Maybe I'll call these blocks "Shattered Windows" instead.  ;D





Yikes! And I was in such a hurry to be finished that I see I mismatched the last two columns on two of the blocks - I'll take those apart during tonight's TV time and put them together the right way. Geez, this day's work has been full of mishaps!






~*~*~*~*~ 

 So - Have you worked on BOMs or interval projects lately? Weeklies are welcome along with regular projects that you’ve broken into monthly units, and –of course- true BOMs.   Share your eye candy and show off your progress since the last time you linked up! There are some wonderful monthly and weekly projects going on out there.


4 comments:

  1. These are such pretty blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are lovely too - I presume that the HST units were supposed to fill that whole area? Wonderful solution. And some days things just go wrong. Once, I got so used to ripping seams... I just automatically unpicked things that looked wrong. It wasn't until I resewed something along exactly the same seam lines that I realised it wasn't wrong in the first place - just upside down :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me smile - nothing like re-work! Your solution worked perfectly though, the blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have days like that too when it seems like every seam I sew is wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.